Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Attorney
At Rosenthal Law, our team is here to help if you need a Sacramento electric scooter accident attorney by your side. If you or somebody you love has been injured in an electric scooter accident caused by the careless or negligent actions of another individual, our team wants to investigate what happened and help secure full compensation for your losses.
Electric scooters have risen in popularity over the last few years in California and throughout the US. These little scooters have been touted as ways to cut down on large vehicle traffic throughout major urban areas, not only in an effort to reduce congestion but also as a way to reduce a city’s carbon footprint. However, accidents involving electric scooters often result in devastating injuries for those involved.
- Why Choose Us?
- What Damages Can I Recover for My Scooter Injuries?
- Who Can Be Held Liable?
- What if There was Shared Liability?
- How Can I Afford an Electric Scooter Accident Attorney?
- California Electric Scooter Laws
- Common Electric Scooter Injuries
- Causes of Electric Scooter Injuries
- What Brands of Scooters Should You Watch Out For?
- What to do Following an Electric Scooter Accident
- Contact a Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
Why Choose Us?
- The Sacramento personal injury lawyers at Rosenthal Law has a track record of success, and we have successfully recovered significant multi-million dollar settlements and jury verdicts on behalf of injury victims.
- We work to ensure that every client receives personalized attention for their case. This means that we get to know our client’ goals and needs as we move forward with developing their case strategy.
- Our scooter accident lawyers the resources necessary to handle every aspect of an injury claim, whether it’s litigation, negotiation, arbitration, mediation, and trial.
- We make accommodations to ensure that our clients receive the representation they need, even if they are hospitalized or otherwise incapacitated. We will come to you if necessary.
What Damages Can I Recover for My Scooter Injuries?
Electric scooter accident victims in Sacramento may be entitled to various types of compensation for their losses. At Rosenthal Law, our team works diligently to obtain both economic and non-economic compensation on behalf of our clients. This can include, but is not limited to, the following:
This type of compensation is also referred to as special damages and typically revolves around the types of compensation that are relatively easy to calculate. This is done by gathering up medical bills, various receipts, pay stubs, and other proof of economic loss following and accidents. Some of the most common types of economic compensation involved in an electric scooter accident include the following:
- Coverage of all medical bills
- The cost of physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Coverage prescription medications or medical devices
- Lost income if a victim cannot work
- Any damaged property expenses
- General household out-of-pocket expenses
This type of compensation is also referred to as general damages, and this will usually revolve around the types of losses that a victim sustains that are more immeasurable. We say immeasurable because non-economic damages are harder to quantify because there are no direct bills or receipts that can be added up. Some of the most common types of non-economic damages after an electric scooter accident include the following:
- Physical pain and suffering damages
- Emotional distress damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Loss of consortium for a spouse
The total amount of compensation available in the aftermath of an electric scooter accident in Sacramento will vary depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding each particular incident. Some of the factors that can affect how much compensation a person receives include the severity of the injuries, whether or not a victim can work while they recover, the level of the victim’s pain and suffering , whether or not there was any shared liability, and more. Speak with a qualified Sacramento electric scooter accident attorney to learn more.
Who Can Be Held Liable?
There may be various parties that could be held liable in the aftermath of an electric scooter accident. For example, if a negligent vehicle driver strikes a scooter rider, then the driver could be held liable just like they could be held responsible if they had struck a bicyclist or a pedestrian.
An electric scooter rider could be held responsible if their negligent actions cause an accident. This can include actions that cause a vehicle accident, a pedestrian accident, or a bicycle accident.
Many people wonder if the electric scooter companies themselves can be held responsible if an accident occurs. Riders sign a waiver of liability, releasing the company from responsibility when they use these scooters. Even though a person may not directly remember signing a waiver of liability, this is usually hidden in the “agreement terms” that a person accepts when they download the app needed to use the electric scooter and when they unlock the scooter. However, the electric scooter company may be held liable in the event an accident is caused by a defective scooter.
What if There was Shared Liability?
It is not uncommon for there to be more than one party responsible for an accident. The good news is that, even if an electric scooter accident victim is found to be partially a fault, they may still be able to recover compensation for their injuries and other losses. California operates under what is called a “pure comparative negligence” system. This means that even those who share fault for causing their own injuries can still recover compensation, even if they are up to 99% at fault.
However, the total amount of compensation an injury victim receives will be reduced based on their percentage of fault for the incident. For example, if an electric scooter accident becomes sustains $100,000 worth of losses as a result of an accident, but a jury determines that they were 30% responsible for the incident because of a failure to follow a traffic law, then they would receive $70,000 instead of the full $100,000.
How Can I Afford an Electric Scooter Accident Attorney?
At Rosenthal Law, our team understands that those injured due to the careless or negligent actions of others are often placed into difficult financial situations. It can seem like an impossible task to afford an electric scooter accident attorney. The good news is that we take Sacramento electric scooter accident cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that our clients will not have to pay any upfront or out-of-pocket costs related to their case. We will not collect any legal fees until after we obtain the compensation that our clients need through a favorable settlement or jury verdict. If we do not win, our clients do not pay.
California Electric Scooter Laws
When we look at data available directly from the Public Works Department in Sacramento, we can see that electric scooter use is not discouraged.
Any person who plans to use a shared bicycle or scooter is encouraged to keep safety in mind as their number one priority. The city of Sacramento has said that riding scooters on the sidewalks is against the law. Currently, there is a $207 fine in place for those doing so (Cal. Vehicle Code, § 21235.). Electric scooter riders can operate these vehicles in the bike lane on the road.
Additionally, the city of Sacramento has said that electric scooter riders cannot block sidewalks or curb ramps. Any person who does this could be subject to a fine of $27.50.
All electric scooter riders in Sacramento are asked not to take these vehicles into unauthorized areas, including on private property, unless they are otherwise authorized to do so.
The city of Sacramento has provided a map that is accessible online that shows all of the areas where electric scooters can be dropped off.
In addition to the laws that the city of Sacramento has set forth and made riders aware of, there are other laws that apply to electric scooters in California. This includes the following:
- Any scooter rider under the age of 18 must wear a helmet.
- These scooters can travel at a maximum of 15 mph.
- Electric scooter riders are supposed to take left turns by stopping at an intersection on the right-hand curb, dismounting from the scooter, and crossing the roadway on foot.
- Electric scooters are not allowed to travel inside crosswalks.
- Electric scooters have to follow all traffic laws similar to any other vehicle on the roadway.
- No rider is allowed to operate an electric scooter while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Common Electric Scooter Injuries
Accidents involving electric scooters are often severe. That is because it is not uncommon for electric scooter riders to operate these vehicles without any type of protective gear at all. In many cases, electric scooter riders in Sacramento do not wear helmets or any type of protective clothing. Some of the most common types of injuries that the Sacramento electric scooter lawyers at Rosenthal Law help clients with in these cases include the following:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord trauma
- Traumatic brain injuries
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has been asked by municipalities and emergency agencies throughout the country to study electric scooter accidents. As municipalities grapple with the long-term consequences of these vehicles, they are looking for more information about the risks posed to scooter riders and pedestrians, vehicle drivers, and others.
Causes of Electric Scooter Injuries
Electric scooter accidents occur in a wide variety of ways in the Sacramento area. These accidents can occur anywhere a scooter rider can operate, including on the roadway, in the bike lane, on the sidewalks, or even across park fields. Some of the most common causes of Sacramento electric scooter accidents include the following:
- Electric scooter operators with little to no riding experience causing accidents
- Careless or negligent vehicle drivers striking a scooter rider
- Pedestrians getting struck by negligent scooter riders
- Pedestrians tripping over discarded electric scooters
What Brands of Scooters Should You Watch Out For?
There are various scooter companies that operate in major cities throughout California. Each municipality is typically responsible for negotiating deals with these various companies. Below is a list of some of the most popular electric scooter brands that have operated in California, though not all of these operate in the Sacramento area.
What to do Following an Electric Scooter Accident
If you or somebody you love has been involved in an electric scooter accident in Sacramento, there are various steps that you can take in order to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to. Some of the steps that you can take immediately following a crash include the following:
- Call 911. Immediately following any vehicle accident, including those involving electric scooters, law enforcement should be notified so they can come to conduct a preliminary investigation and complete an accident report.
- Seek medical care. All electric scooter accident victims need to seek medical care as soon as possible, even if the injuries do not seem particularly severe. Seeking medical care ensures the well-being of the accident victim and establishes a link between the incident and the injuries.
- Gather evidence. If it is safe to do so at the scene of the crash, an electric scooter accident victim can use their camera to take photographs of everything at the scene, including damages, injuries, possible causes of the crash, others involved, traffic and weather conditions, and more. Additionally, the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses need to be written down.
- Contact an attorney. A skilled Sacramento electric scooter accident lawyer should be notified as soon as possible so that they can begin gathering and preserving evidence, handling communication with other parties involved, and negotiating on behalf of the injury victim.
- Report the incident to insurers. Insurance carriers are likely going to be involved in these cases, and they need to be notified that the incident occurred within a day or two.
- Continue all medical care. All electric scooter accident victims need to continue receiving medical care until their doctor says they have reached maximum medical improvement. If an accident victim discontinues care before they have made a full recovery, this could give insurance carriers an excuse to delay or deny a claim.
Contact a Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer Today
If you or somebody you love has been injured in an electric scooter accident in or around the Sacramento area, let the team at Rosenthal Law get to work on your case as soon as possible. Our accident attorneys have extensive experience handling complex injury claims in Sacramento and throughout California, and we know what it takes to help victims secure full compensation.
If another individual caused your electric scooter accident, we will work diligently to uncover evidence, determine liability, and secure the compensation you are entitled to. When you need a Sacramento electric scooter accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation online or calling us at (916) 774-7200.