Sacramento Rideshare Accident Attorney
Rideshare services like Lyft and Uber have become a popular alternative to taxis and public transit services for many Northern Californians. While these services may be attractive and convenient for many travelers in the Sacramento area, it’s crucial for drivers and passengers to know what to expect when a rideshare accident happens. Companies like Uber and Lyft have adopted insurance policies but these policies only apply in certain situations and at specific times. Learn more about your legal options in the event of an accident and speak with a qualified Sacramento rideshare accident lawyer at Rosenthal Law.
- Do I Need an Attorney After an Uber or Lyft Accident?
- How an Uber & Lyft Accident Attorney Can Help
- Why Uber & Lyft are Unique
- What are Uber & Lyft’s Insurance Policies?
- Compensation for Rideshare Accidents in Sacramento
- Determining Liability in Uber and Lyft Accidents
- What to do After an Uber or Lyft Accident
- Discuss Your Case with a Sacramento Rideshare Accident Attorney Now
Do I Need an Attorney After an Uber or Lyft Accident?
Any car accident can potentially cause life-changing injuries and significant economic losses. The average person cannot handle the demands of a lawsuit alone while also recovering from serious injuries. Hiring a car accident lawyer not only leads to a higher quality of representation but it also increases the chances of a plaintiff’s success and will likely lead to more compensation than the plaintiff could have secured without assistance.
The attorneys at Rosenthal Law believe in aggressive representation in every case. We have the experience and resources to handle the most complicated civil cases in Sacramento and a ridesharing accident can easily escalate into a complex legal battle between multiple parties. Our Sacramento rideshare accident attorneys want local residents and users of rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft to know their options after ridesharing accidents.
How an Uber & Lyft Accident Attorney Can Help
When Uber or Lyft drivers are in an accident, Uber & Lyft do not automatically cover the accident under their insurance policies. When rideshare insurance covers accidents, they are not always easily proven or paid. Uber & Lyft insurers work hard to save their clients money in insurance payouts and protect their bottom lines.
That is why you need experienced rideshare attorneys like those at Rosenthal Law. Our attorneys fight big insurance companies every day to preserve victims’ rights and get our clients the compensation they deserve after a rideshare accident. Rosenthal Law’s Uber & Lyft accident attorneys will:
- Identify all liable parties for your rideshare accident
- Identify all the insurance policies that may provide you with compensation
- Gather any necessary evidence to prove your case
- Interview witnesses and take their statements
- Represent you in any settlement negotiations with insurance companies
- If needed, take your case to trial
At Rosenthal Law, our rideshare attorneys will review the details of your accident and map out a legal plan to recover your losses. Take your first step towards recovery by calling us today. If you are in the hospital and unable to visit us, we will come to your hospital room.
Why Uber & Lyft are Unique
Rideshare companies such as Uber & Lyft offer passengers taxi-like services, but they are not taxi companies. Rideshare drivers are not employees of Uber or Lyft, but independent contractors who use their vehicles to transport passengers.
Uber & Lyft screen their applicants’ driving histories and look for any record of crimes, but this does not keep traffic accidents from occurring. Uber & Lyft accidents are different from typical car accidents in the following ways:
- Rideshare drivers carry passengers but may not have specialized experience in doing so
- Rideshare apps can take a driver’s attention off of the road
- There is no set workday for rideshare drivers, which allows excessive working hours over 24 hours
All drivers must carry their insurance to be eligible to work for both Uber & Lyft. Uber & Lyft both carry insurance policies for their drivers. However, this insurance coverage is dependent upon the status of the driver at the time of an accident.
What are Uber & Lyft’s Insurance Policies?
It is less difficult to receive compensation from Uber & Lyft when the rideshare driver has their app on and has a passenger in the car. If a rideshare driver has their app on and is transporting passengers, the rideshare driver’s auto insurance policy will not typically provide coverage.
Uber divides its insurance coverage into three periods. If the app is on and the driver is in the process of passenger transport, and an uninsured or underinsured driver causes the accident, Uber’s insurance policy covers:
- $1 million per accident for bodily injuries
- $1 million per accident for property damage
- $1 million per accident for bodily injuries
If an Uber driver is not actively involved in passenger transport, but the app is on and causes an accident, the coverage is lower. In such situations, Uber’s insurance policy covers the following:
- $50,000 liability coverage per person
- $100,000 liability coverage per accident
- $25,000 in property damage coverage
If a rideshare driver does not have a passenger and does not have the Uber app open, the driver’s insurance policy is responsible for the accident.
Uber & Lyft have similar insurance coverage and the same policy limits.
Compensation for Rideshare Accidents in Sacramento
Once initial complications are removed, compensation for Uber & Lyft accidents is much like any other car accident. The victim of a rideshare accident may receive compensation for the following:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Medical and hospital bills
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy
- Lost wages
- Loss of future income
- Property damage
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
A plaintiff in any personal injury case for a vehicle accident will need to prove that the defendant was at fault for the claimed incident. This means proving the defendant owed a duty of care to the plaintiff, breached this duty in some way, and directly caused the plaintiff’s damages. The plaintiff will also need to provide proof of the extent of his or her damages, which may include medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and property damage.
Punitive damages are available from the court in cases where a defendant’s actions were intentionally reckless. Punitive damages are meant to deter future similar behavior and serve as a punishment to a defendant.
Determining Liability in Uber and Lyft Accidents
It’s possible for an Uber or Lyft driver to cause an accident or for another driver to cause an accident with an Uber or Lyft vehicle. Depending on which driver causes the accident, an injured plaintiff may face one or more defendants. For example, a third-party driver speeds through a red light and T-bones an Uber driver with the right of way. In this example, the third-party driver is clearly at fault and liable for the resulting damages.
What to do After an Uber or Lyft Accident
No one wants to be involved in a rideshare accident. However, there are steps to take afterward that may help safeguard the legal right to recovery. These include:
- Report the accident to the police
- Get a copy of the police accident report
- Exchange driver insurance and license information with all drivers involved
- If anyone tries to leave, take photos of their car and license plate
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene before cars are moved
- If possible, take photos of the damage to vehicles, personal injuries, and injuries of passengers
- Call for medical assistance or seek immediate medical care
- Get a copy of the doctor’s report
- Get follow-up medical care
- Contact an experienced Uber or Lyft attorney
Evidence disappears quickly, so it is vital to find an attorney right away. When you hire Rosenthal Law, we are beside you, keeping you informed from start to finish. Call us with your rideshare accident questions today.
Discuss Your Case with a Sacramento Rideshare Accident Attorney Now
Handling any type of rideshare accident claim can be stressful and confusing without proper legal counsel. The lawyers at Rosenthal Law have decades of experience handling civil claims for our clients in the Sacramento area and we can put our skills and resources to work in your rideshare accident case. Contact us today to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our rideshare accident lawyers in Sacramento. If we believe you have a strong claim, we can let you know what type of compensation you could expect from a lawsuit and how our firm can help.