Follow these bicycle safety tips when commuting
At some point, you may find that bicycling to and from work is the best approach. This is a great way to avoid traffic, get some exercise and save money.
Unfortunately, just the same as driving a car, there are safety hazards around every corner. Stay aware of these potential risks in order to avoid becoming involved in an accident.
Here are several bicycle safety tips that all commuters should follow:
- Be aware of the door zone. As you’re riding your bike, an opening door could pose serious trouble. If you collide with the door, it’s safe to assume that you will suffer some type of injury.
- Obey all the rules of the road. Just because you are on a bike does not mean you are able to break the rules of the road, such as breezing through a red light when all other traffic has come to a stop.
- Make every move clear. You should be clear about every move you are making. It’s best to use hand signals and eye contact, as this can help drivers understand your intentions.
- Use the bike lane. As tempted as you may be to ride on the sidewalk or in traffic, it’s best to use a bike lane if this is available to you. These are designed for the safety of the bicyclist, so you should remain here when possible.
Although there are other bicycle safety tips you can follow to remain safe when commuting to and from work, these are among the most important.
Unfortunately, even if you follow these tips, you could still be involved in a serious accident with a motor vehicle. If this happens, do the following:
- Move to safety
- Call for help
- Get medical attention even you feel like you aren’t badly hurt
Although there are dangers commuting on a bicycle, don’t let them keep you off the road. If a vehicle driver acted negligently, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Learn more by speaking with a Sacramento bicycle accident attorney.